Tuesday, July 26, 2011

KSA on Inspiration:

KSA asks each client: What inspires you? I love this part of the design process. It’s so exciting to learn what makes our client’s tick, and to see what’s important to them on a personal and professional level. Every answer is unique and always offers precious insight to an organization’s culture. These reflections often serve as the basis of the design intent.

I have an extreme love for museums and galleries (just ask my husband, who on a recent trip to Colorado, had but one request: “no museums”. I still managed to sneak in a gallery or two!). As a designer, I’m inspired by the obvious: art and artifacts. Museums and galleries are where I experience the works of masters and novices alike. I find the innovation of both very inspiring, whether it’s form, function or aesthetics. I am also moved by the act of meandering through a museum… it feels a bit like a treasure hunt. It’s so easy to lose yourself in the quietness and just give yourself over to the things you enjoy. So many senses are stimulated: the perfect air quality is delightful, the lighting is soft and complimenting, the voice on the audio guide is soothing… there is no schedule, there is no iphone or email. There is just you and exhibit. Oh, and let’s not forget the museums themselves. As a girl living in Europe, my family visited many famous museums. As a teen living in the DC suburbs, I just couldn’t get enough of the Smithsonian. In my 20’s, I went to Spain specifically to see the Guggenheim in Bilbao. Now I am fortunate enough to live in Richmond and have the marvelous VMFA in my backyard. This love for museums has inspired me for as long as I can remember… how fortunate am I?

So, I ask you the same question… what inspires you? Share it, embrace it, live it.

Melissa Moseley, CID, ASID, LEED AP

No comments:

Post a Comment